google search

Custom Search

Friday, July 22, 2011

Coaching to cure the Unused Gym Membership Syndrome

Coaching to cure the Unused Gym Membership Syndrome


I feel it necessary to say that I am enjoying life a good deal more than I did before 10 years and one among the numerous significant reasons for my happiness is the positive improvements that I have incorporated in my way of life.


I won't go into the gory details, but sufficient to say that the work I've done to be in good physical shape, fit and vibrant has been more than worthwhile, and that it's also made positivity and pleasure a whole lot simpler and brought great results in other areas of my life.


During this I've also learnt a lot regarding the role of the mind in the hunt for health.


Unfortunately, for many people, self-sabotage is a regular companion!


The majority of us know someone who has bought a gym membership, visited two times and somehow "forgotten" for the remaining year. "I'm too busy", few of them say, but not too busy to visit the pub, spend the afternoon window-shopping, or fill their daily TV quota. As a culture (perhaps as a species?!) we're conditioned to use excuses when we come across a gap between a stated intention and what we in point of fact do, and we behave as if on some level this works fantastically well for us.


But how will it be if all our cultural conditioning told us to say rather "Oh dear, I don't seem to be visiting the gym. There seems to be a conflict between my conscious and unconscious mind! I'd better get it fixed!"? A bit like "Oh look, we've run out of milk. I'll just visit the store and get some", instead of the elaborate and inefficient socio-linguistic avoidance ritual that is the trend.


I have to admit that I visit the gym frequently, and it doesn't seem to cause me any psychological angst at all. That's not to say that there are not any areas in my life where I'm making excuses and getting bad outcomes (I wish!) But several years ago I made the decision that health was vital, and I searched for and discovered tools that would get over my tendency to opt out of my own wellbeing.


Luckily this isn't something that requires "willpower" (which is actually rare, and very hard to cultivate) - modern coaching technology bypasses the requirement to grit your teeth and sweat blood to accomplish objectives :)


Of course Unused Gym Membership Syndrome isn't the only health issue where the unconscious mind gets in our way.


How many overweight people feel - rightly - that they're losing out on a lot?

How many smokers would love to be free from the economical and self-esteem burdens their habit brings them? (Not to mention all that tedious health stuff they inform about on the packets, of course.)


How many people would like to live in a universe where real food tasted as nice as Maccas, and was just as handy? Many people do in fact inhabit that universe.


Certainly you could merely say that health, fitness, energy and enthusiasm for life are "things that other folks have". But you can make a better choice.


Live the difference Life Coaching is based in Melbourne which offers transformational one-on-one coaching both face-to-face and on the phone. People come from all walks of life and live in and around Melbourne, interstate and overseas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Visitors